This policy applies to data we collect about visitors to our platform, users who create an account and register on our platform, and third-party providers including service providers, affiliates, and advertisers.
If you have any questions about this policy or the practices described herein, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
By submitting your personal information, you consent to the use of that information as set out in this policy.
To use our Platform, you agree to be 18 years of age or the age of majority in some jurisdictions. Although, we collect and process personal information of our users, we do not collect or process information of minors. Persons above 13 years but less than 18 years may use our platform with additional consent and authorization from a parent or guardian. Therefore, our platform is not directed at persons under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without such a parent or guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us immediately to withdraw consent. The use of this platform is void where prohibited by applicable law and we assume no responsibility or liability for any misrepresentation of age.
The Information We Collect About You
We collect information from you in two (2) ways
- actively from your input, and
- passively through your use of our platform.
The following information is collected by us actively from you:
- Account and User Information: To create an account, you must provide your first name, last name, email address, password, and other identifying information. You may choose to link social media accounts and other media to your account on our platform but are not required to.
- Profile information: You may have the opportunity to create a profile that may include photographs, information about your academic and work history, and your interests and activities. You are in charge of your privacy settings and what information is public on our platform.
- Payment Information: If you choose to use a paid service, your payment card/payment method details will be requested by us but handled by a third-party payment processor with your consent. Please know that our platform does not have access to your payment information.
The following information is collected by us passively from your usage of our Services:
- Log files and device data: This information is about the device and application you access our Services with, including IP address data, device data, and browser information.
- Social media data: If you link a social media account to our platform, we will collect and use your information according to this policy.
- Usage data: This information is about your usage including your logins, length of time, what articles you access, and other useful information.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the information we collect (both on its own and combined with any other information we collect) about you for a variety of business purposes, including:
- Creating a profile and providing access to certain functions and features of our platform;
- Communicating and managing your information and accounts;
- Evaluating and enhancing your projects including research and academics;
- processing transactions, applications, and payments according to your usage;
- notifying you about changes to our platform;
- providing analytical services;
- direct marketing, if applicable under the privacy law of your jurisdiction;
- analyzing and improving our Services according to our legitimate interest, such as detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity; undertaking research for technological development and demonstration measuring interest and engagement in our Services and short-term, transient use; developing new products and Services; and enforcing our terms and policies;
- creating de-identified and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access our Services or other analyses we create; and
We may use third-party APIs and software development kits (the “SDKs”) as part of the functionality of our Services. APIs and SDKs may allow third parties including analytics and advertising partners to collect your personal information for various purposes including to provide analytics services and content that is more relevant to you.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
With your consent, we will disclose your personal information with our partners, third-party providers and vendors, authorized users within your organization (if the user is an entity), in connection with a sale, merger, acquisition, or corporate reorganization, and for legal reasons (including a court order, a subpoena).
We may share any personal information we collect about you with our third-party service providers for business purposes. The categories of service providers (processors) to whom we entrust personal information include IT and related services; information and services; payment processors; customer service providers; and vendors to support the provision of the Services.
We may also share non-personal information with certain third parties, including the media, industry observers, marketing and advertising partners, vendors, customers, potential customers, or partners.
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, a sale of all or a substantial portion of our assets, or other similar sale transaction, your information will be transferred as part of that transaction. We will notify you by email and/or a prominent notice on our platform of any such transfer and any choices you may have regarding your information.
Lastly, if legally required to do so, or if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary, we may disclose your personal information to courts of law, law enforcement authorities, and other relevant third parties, such as internet service providers, to conduct an investigation, respond to a third party or law enforcement subpoena or court order, bring legal action, protect the rights of our user base, prevent harm to others or pursue other relief when you or a third party are or may be doing certain actions, such as:
- violating our terms and conditions of use;
- causing injury or other harm to, or otherwise violating the property or other legal rights, of us, other users, or third parties; or
- violating federal, state, local, or other applicable law.
When we share personal information with certain third-party partners, including marketing and advertising partners, that information includes your name, email address, and other information enabling partners to fulfill business purposes, which may include:
- validate your identity and fitness to use the service,
- prevent fraudulent use of the service,
- process payments according to your usage of the Services,
- assist you in using our products and services,
- contact you with offers, services, or products that may be of interest to you, and
- provide you with their products or services.
If you provide personal information to our platform, you acknowledge and agree that such personal information may be transferred from your current location to our servers and the authorized third parties referred to herein.
This disclosure can include transferring your information to the U.S. and other countries outside the European Economic Area. To the extent we are legally permitted to do so, it is our policy to notify you if we are required to provide your personal information to third parties in connection with a subpoena.
Our platform may contain links to other websites. Also, other websites may reference our platform. These websites are not controlled by us. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen, or approve and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting, accessing, or utilizing these other websites or applications is at your own risk.
Retention of your Information
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW WE ASSUME NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION DUE TO ERRORS IN TRANSMISSION, UNAUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY ACCESS, OR OTHER CAUSES BEYOND OUR CONTROL. BY USING THE SERVICES OR PROVIDING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO US, YOU AGREE THAT WE MAY COMMUNICATE WITH YOU ELECTRONICALLY REGARDING SECURITY, PRIVACY, AND ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES. IF WE LEARN OF A SECURITY SYSTEM’S BREACH, WE MAY ATTEMPT TO NOTIFY YOU ELECTRONICALLY BY POSTING A NOTICE ON THE SERVICES, BY MAIL OR BY SENDING AN E-MAIL TO YOU.
When we collect financial account information, such as credit card numbers, we protect its transmission through the use of standard encryption technology.
You play an important role in keeping your personal information secure and you should not share your username, password, or other security information for your Account with anyone. If we receive instructions using your username and password, we will consider that you have authorized the instructions. If you believe there has been any unauthorized access or use of your information, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
You have the following rights to the processing of your personal information under relevant privacy laws including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
- Access: You have the right to know whether we process personal information about you, and if we do, to access data we hold about you and certain information about how we use it and who we share it with. To obtain information and access to data held by you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portability: You have the right to receive a subset of the personal information you provide us if we process it on the legal bases of our contract with you or with your consent in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and a right to request that we transfer such personal information to another party. If you wish for us to transfer the personal information to another party, please ensure you detail that party and note that we can only do so where it is technically feasible. We are not responsible for the security of personal information or its processing once received by the third party.
- Correction: You have the right to require us to correct any personal information held about you that is inaccurate and have incomplete data completed. Where you request a correction, please explain in detail why you believe the personal information we hold about you to be inaccurate or incomplete so that we can assess whether a correction is required. Please note that while we assess whether the personal information, we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you may exercise your right to restrict our processing of the applicable data as described below.
- Restriction of processing to storage only: You have a right to require us to stop processing the personal information we hold about you other than for storage purposes in the following circumstances:
- You believe the personal information is not accurate for the period it takes for us to verify whether the data is accurate;
- We wish to erase the personal information, but you want us to simply restrict the use of that data;
- We no longer need the personal information for the processing, but you require us to retain the data for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or
- You have objected to us processing personal information we hold about you based on our legitimate interest and you wish us to stop processing the personal information while we determine whether there is an overriding interest in us retaining such personal information.
- Objection: You have the right to object to our processing of data about you and we will consider your request. Please provide us with detail as to your reasoning so that we can assess whether there is a compelling overriding interest in us continuing to process such data or we need to process it concerning legal claims.
You also have the right, at any time, to object to our processing of data about you to send you marketing, including where we build profiles for such purposes and we will stop processing the data for that purpose.
- Choice/Opt-Out of Marketing Communications: You always have the opportunity to opt-out of our marketing communications with you or change your preferences by emailing us at email@example.com or by using the unsubscribe link (if any) found at the bottom of a marketing email to opt-out of receiving future emails. Some communications from us are considered transactional or service communications (for example, important account notifications and billing information), and your account(s) on our platform are provided to you upon the condition that you receive these communications from us. You must cancel your account(s) on our platform, as applicable, if you do not wish to receive any transactional or service communications. To cancel your account(s), please follow the instructions found in the terms of service for the applicable Service. You may still receive marketing communications from us even after you cancel your account unless you also opt-out of our marketing communications, as described above.
Erasure: You may request that we erase the personal information we hold about you in the following circumstances:
- where you believe it is no longer necessary for us to hold the personal information;
- we are processing it based on your consent, and you wish to withdraw your consent;
- we are processing your data based on our legitimate interest and you object to such processing;
- you no longer wish us to use your data to send you marketing; or
- you believe we are unlawfully processing your data.
- Withdrawal of Consent: Where you have provided your consent to us processing your data, you can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under the CCPA. Unless permitted by the CCPA or other applicable law, we will not:
- Deny you access to our platform.
- Charge you different prices or rates on our platform, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of services on our platform.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for Services or a different level or quality of services on our platform.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
If you are located in the European Economic Area or the UK, you have the right to complain to a supervisory authority if you believe our processing of your personal information violates applicable law.
If you wish to make a complaint about how we process your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com and we will try to deal with your request.
Notification of Changes
If you have an inquiry regarding our privacy practices or desire to access your data in our possession, we encourage you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: October 16, 2020